Tuesday 25 November 2008

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted


This weekend, with my schedule cleared, and time on my hands to indulge my whims, I decided to carry out an experiment. That is, I chose to listen to nothing but Pavement. No real reason, really, it's just that though I've always liked Pavement, I don't feel like I 've listened to them enough to fully appreciate them.

I suppose there was a danger that forcing myself to listen to one band solidly for two days would make me sick of them, and that might be the case with a duller band, but not Pavement.

One thing I love about Pavement is the quality of their deluxe reissues. 3 (soon to be 4) of their 5 studio albums have been re-released with a ridiculous load of extra b-sides / session tracks and live recordings. Each release has 40+ songs on.

After this weekend, I think Slanted and Enchanted is my favourite Pavement album. It's the perfect distillation of their scuzzy slacker pop. Though they kept the quality high throughout their run as a band, I don't think they ever managed to top this. The 'Luxe and Reduxe' package has some amazing extra off-cuts too, including a fantastic alternate version of 'Here' and a great live recording from Brixton.

Limiting myself to one band this weekend turned out pretty great, so I'm going to have a go at it again at some point. Suggestions are welcome as to who. They'll need to have enough material to sustain me for a whole weekend, mind...!

Download:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

maybe led zeppelin?

pedro the lion has a good collection of material.

the pixies?

pitchfork/rocket from the crypt/drive like jehu/hot snakes/obits/night marchers?
maybe a john reis/rick froberg weekend? that would rock balls