Monday 3 November 2008

The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

Okay then, I've decided to go for a different approach on here. From here on in, I intend to update more often, and rather than being such a tease by posting one song or so, I'm going to upload a full album at a time. However, the principle remains the same: These albums will be here to provide you with a taster of an artist. I'm sure you realise that buying a CD is so much more satisfying than just having some cold MP3s on your hard drive. You can't hug a download. If any artists / labels take exception to an upload, drop me a line at easyworldpaul at hotmail dot com and I'll happily take it down.

So I don't really have a grand plan for what to upload, I'm just going to be sticking up whatever takes my fancy. I'll more than likely be uploading something that's new to me, be it a lost classic or a hot newie. And in that spirit, my first offering is Reconstruction Site by The Weakerthans.

Coming onto the scene at the arse-end of slacker-pop, they're more Death Cab than Pavement. This is a record of smart, sunny American (well, Canadian to be accurate) Indie. Songs
like Benediction show warmth and bring to mind Colin Meloy in his less bombastic moments, while at other times they recall Weezer in their better days.

You can't escape the fact that The Weakerthans' marketplace is an overcrowded one, but there's more than enough playfulness and experimentation here to keep your interest and ensure you'll keep coming back to the record long after you're bored with Plans.

No comments: