Friday 5 December 2008

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

Frightened Rabbit are a band who have been around for a couple of years, but only came to my attention about 6 months ago with the gathering acclaim for their second album The Midnight Organ Fight.

Adding a spit and polish and smoothing off some of the edges from 2007's debut Sing the Greys, they've produced one of the albums of 2008, and rightly garnered a barrelload of positive press in indie circles.

The Midnight Organ Fight is a record of strong indie pop, like a likeable version of REM. Singer Scott Hutchinson's sheer Scottishness is only topped by the singers from The Twilight Sad and Glasvegas, which I think is another reason I like the band (I don't know why, but I've always been a sucker for a Scottish accent on record. Perhaps it's down to Idlewild being at the core of my formative musical years).

One of the strongest elements of the record is the sharpness of the lyrics, which are laced through with a slightly tongue-in-cheek maudlin feel. For example on Good Arms vs Bad Arms:

'I'm armed with the past, and the will, and a brick
I might not want you back, but i want to kill him'

FR are clearly flavour of the month among the indie kids at present, and with good cause, but they'll need to keep up the momentum they've worked to craft themselves. Album number 3 needs to be pretty special, but there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

Download: Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight

No comments: