Wednesday 8 October 2008

My Weakness


This week, The Times are giving away free copies of what they deem to be seminal albums. Me being me, I've let Monday and Tuesday pass me by. As it turns out, that's been no great loss, as all I've missed has been Love and Joy Division. Both fantastic bands, but also bands I already know pretty well.

Today's freebie, however, has been Psychocandy by the Jesus and Mary Chain. JAMC were a band I've been meaning to explore for a while, but I just never got round to it. On first listen, Psychocandy sounds like a great album of feedback-laden guitar freakery. It seems quite ahead of it's time in a lot of ways, and it's easy to see why so many bands cite it as an influence. But enough words have been written about that record in the 23 years since it was released, so I'm not going to dwell on it.

One of the major effects Psychocandy has had on me is to make me want to listen to A Place to Bury Strangers' eponymous debut. APtBS are clearly one of the dozens of bands who have taken JAMC as their musical blueprint. But what is fantastic about them is that they've taken this scuzzy, feedback-drenched sound, which to be honest has been done countless times before, and infused it with a real nasty, menacing feel.

Listening to their album, you have no choice but to listen to it loud. Really loud. Every listen reveals more layers of fuzzy guitar which burrow their way into your skull. The drum machine which is present on a lot of the songs is an inspired addition to the overall feel. Hearing quite crisp, clean drumming underneath such manky-sounding guitars adds to the complete headfuck of the album.

Basically, it's a filthy bastard of a record. It's the sound of freaking out. I'd go so far as to say that I think it was my favourite album of last year. There's so much to explore with it, that it stands up to any number of repeat listens. Download these songs, but don't expect tuneage. Expect horrible, psychedelic, trippy NOISE!


Missing You

To Fix the Gash in Your Head

No comments: